About Us

The Center for Hearing & Deaf Services, Inc. (HDS) was established in 1920 as the League for the Hard of Hearing to provide social activities for people with a hearing loss. From these modest beginnings, HDS has evolved into southwestern Pennsylvania’s only comprehensive service center for individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing or have other communication needs including spoken language interpreting services. Pittsburgh Language Access Network (PLAN) is a professional interpreting service for foreign languages.

HDS’ professional staff have developed innovative programs, including the first Chemical Dependency Program for the deaf and hard of hearing population in the tri-state area, an assistive listening and signaling device demonstration and sale center, a program providing activities for deaf and hard of hearing youth, and a Hearing Aid Recycling Program. HDS works hard to ensure that the programs and services offered meet the evolving needs of our constituency.

 

Center for Hearing & Deaf Services, Inc. © 2017